With the release of iOS 7 due for 18 September 2013 (19:00 South African Time), many devices will not be able to update. This means that applications that require iOS 7 will not be downloadable via your iPhone 3GS as it is not compatible(iPhone 3GS will not be able to update to iOS 7). Luckily Apple has implemented a new feature into their App store, which allows users to download their favourite applications without having to update their iPhone Software. This will even work for your iPhone 3G and 2G. How does it work? There are a few drawbacks (Sad Face) How to use iTunes with older devices. **Please note that you will not be able to update these applications in iTunes, once updated they will no longer be compatible with the older device.
- The apps store verifies the software version currently on the device.
- Will then assess the application for compatibility with your device and give a prompt as shown in the picture. (If software version is not compatible)
- Tap on download and thats that.
- You will not be able to download applications on PC/Mac via iTunes and sync them to older devices.
- As iTunes does not download directly to the device, it will not know to download the older version.
- Thus all application downloads must be done on the device, if you are not using a compatible software version or device.
- Once you have downloaded the applications to your older device, we will need to make a backup of them. This help to avoid downloading them again if anything happens.
- Before we can backup the applications, you will need to activate the following setting in iTunes. “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically” **Directory: PC – edit > Preferences > Devices > Select – “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically”.
- Now you will be able to connect your device to iTunes without the fear of losing information due to automatic synchronization.
- Connect device to iTunes and select “Transfer Purchases” (Add all applications to iTunes database, might need to authorise your iTunes if prompted)
- Now you will be able to sync your applications back to the device if something goes wrong.
Now go and find your old outdated devices and give them a second lease on life. There will always be someone that will be happy to use them.